Tuesday, October 4, 2011

TROPICAL COASTAL ELEGANCE

Yes, I know it is spring and colour is everywhere but I can not help being pulled back to neutrals. The photos below from John Jacobs are of beautiful, elegant rooms. I have a new client who just loves neutral, black & white schemes so my research lead me back to these photos I have on archive.

I just love this look. So well put together, timeless, classic, elegant, peaceful, simple and relaxed. But at the same time very sophisticated. This style I must admit is where I first started as a designer. A style I call "Tropical Colonial Classic".
Anna Spiro over at Absolutely Beautiful Things blogged yesterday about expressing who you are and doing your own thing, finding what inspires you and not following the pack. The photos below are what closely expresses and inspire me.

At least my style of what a water front home or house in the tropics should be. Not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine.

I agree with Anna: embrace what is personally you and run with it. You will love it forever.

Trends will come and go but true personal style is eternal.

Our look for this Spring / Summer 2011-2012 in the store is a little bit of me and a little bit of everyone else, being a designer gives you the freedom to be both. I hope you like both sides of my personality. The neutral and the colour.
For this "Tropical Colonial Classic" look I found similar prints to the 18th century birds in the photos below. They fit so well with our climate and look great with pale blue, off white, chocolate and a soft fern green. I have also located by chance the quartet of oriental clay ladies on the console below, the chocolate cane chairs, the rattan garden chairs, the chocolate side table with centre shelf, and a collection of beautiful mounted butterflies (in the store now).

It is amazing how an image stays in your head and you pull it out when needed to create a room. Very excited to be pulling together in part of our store a style very personal to me.
I hope you will like it.

Have a great week,
warm wishes,
Daryl



3 comments:

  1. Great post today Daryl and sums up my feelings exactly.
    The house we have renovated is finally, truly Me. A simple palette, no fuss, black and white and I've never been happier.
    Sometimes it can take years of experimentation to finally arrive at our own personal style.
    Oh and I love these pics.
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie,
    yes it takes time to get it right. But you know all along what you love and you just have it stick with it. The feeling everyday when you walk into a home you love gives you that little tingle on the back of your neck, that same little rush when you see something beautiful.
    Have a great week,
    Warm regards,
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pictures of butterfly's there.

    ReplyDelete